Website Pacific Primary
Pacific Primary is a nonprofit preschool that offers a full-day, year-round program in a loving, dynamic, and creative environment. We serve a diverse group of children, ages 2.5 – 6 years. The mission of the school includes a strong commitment to social justice, the arts, and to emotional intelligence. Since 1974, Pacific Primary’s philosophy has included wholesome and nutritious meals and snacks as a regular part of children’s routine and early development. Our school has two sites across the street from each other. Each school has its own kitchen and chef, overseen by the Head Chef, who supports between 74-80 children and 25 staff members per site in preparing wholesome vegetarian meals and snacks Monday through Friday.
Pacific Primary is in search of a chef/food educator to be responsible for the day to day food preparation, inventory management, and collaboration with teachers to support the food program. The role will be 6-7 hours per day and will initially be a temporary position to support leaves of absence through 2023, with the potential to become a permanent position in 2024. The preferred candidate will be available to start in April or May 2023.
- Working in a small, fast-paced kitchen that requires good time management skills, organization skills and excellent communication skills
- Preparing daily meals and snacks for 4 classrooms
- Working with teachers to monitor children with allergies and ensure that they are not exposed to allergens
- Taking and maintaining inventory of food and food service supplies and communicating that in a timely manner
- Working as a team member with a diverse group of staff and families
- Lifting heavy loads (60+ pounds) and transferring items to a second site, in a timely manner
- Meeting a fixed timeline for food service and cleanup
- Keeping the kitchen consistently clean, organized and sanitized
- Partnering with the Head Chef on menus, ordering and integrity of the food program
- Working with teachers and staff to support families and children in their food journey
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Experience working in an educational environment, preferably in early childhood (preferred)
- The ability to multitask and problem solve without direct supervision
- The ability to maintain a welcoming kitchen environment for a large school staff
- The ability to receive and provide constructive feedback
- LiveScan Fingerprint Clearance required by CA State Licensing required for working in a school
- NSF Food Safety Certification (or NRA) in Food Manager (preferred)
- At least two (2) years experience in a professional cooking environment (preferred)
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Previous experience in working with children or school environment (preferred)
Our staff is our most important resource and we offer a competitive hourly compensation of $28/hour, as well as a supportive work environment.
For more information about our school please see our website: Pacific Primary and the film we are featured in: Anti-bias Education in Action
How to Apply:
Pacific Primary is an equal opportunity employer and strives for a diverse staff. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered, please email your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role to [email protected] Please include the job title you are applying for in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org